Friday, October 9, 2015

What Happens Next

It's amazing how the world works, isn't it? It's an ongoing cycle of life (I would say “endless”, but then again, I doubt that we humans would last forever on this world due to the theories about the eventual but inevitable apocalypse and $#!+) that really is just a “rinse and repeat” sequence of events that keep the world going.

You guys might be wondering, “J, just stop talking in circles and speak straight already.”, so let me just get to my small “deduction”. I'm talking about the life cycle of humans in the world and their roles in it. Last night, my dad and I had a discussion about the types of people in the world. The gist of it was, there were two main types of people in this world: the “consumers” and the “producers”.

The consumers, hence the name, are people who consume products made by the producers. For instance, consumers are video gamers, whilst the video game producers are the producers, hence the name (YouTubers are a special class all by themeselves: they're producers who make money by being consumers (to be fair, they DO have to put in work into the quality of their videos), which is a job a hardcore gamer can only DREAM of having).

The daily life of the entire world is like a food chain: producers create the products which consumers, well, consume (what else? Throw away?), whilst the consumers put these products to good use, as they should (by buying the products, they're already putting the product to good use. Praise consumerism and our dependence on small, insignificant everyday products designed to fulfill our unnecessary wants and needs). In a world where everyone's a producer and nobody buys these insignificant products, the world would probably be in total anarchy by now, because nobody is making any money since they're all busy making $#!+ for other people.

But of course, this isn't to be used as an excuse by consumers to lie around the house beside their Doritos stash (copyright infringement coming in 3...2...1...) and their cable TVs/gaming consoles. Thankfully, you can be a producer and a consumer at the same time. A guy who works at a local Burger King restaurant is free to buy a serving of enchiladas at the Taco Bell next door at any time. And for some reason, according to my family, this consumer/producer thing is a serious issue I've been plagued with over the course of the past few years (or more accurately, ever since I discovered how to have fun).

I'm a consumer. According to me, I'm happy to be one, as long as I have a steady source of income to supply my wants and needs (and trust me, that is NOT much to ask for, unless you call food and water, a shelter, a steady source of income, broadband Internet connection and a laptop the wishes of a millionaire). But a question my family keeps on asking me is, “what are you gonna produce?”. The answer to the question has been discovered, but I have trouble telling it to the rest of the world.

Acording to my dad, I'm not gonna go anywhere fast if I don't start to “do something that will benefit my future”, and has gone to insane lengths to get this point through. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if I'm just not showing it, but the message I'm getting seems to be something along the lines of “you're a lazy-ass piece of crap who stares at the computer every second of spare time you get, and you're future ain't looking too bright unless you stop having fun and start doing something that'll contribute to your adult life.”

Now I don't know if this means that I'll be homeless if I don't “start doing something with my life” or if it means that I just won't get a high-paying job later down the line. What I want for my future isn't something I'd call a luxury (compare it to the higher class people who have a high-paying job and a family), unless you're living in a homeless camp in some desolate area in the city. Now the question is that if I continue on like this, am I on the road to living the life I asked for (go back two paragraphs and refer to that as my future life's “wishlist”) or am I on the road that will lead me into a hobo encampment under some bridge? That's what I want to know. I know that, and I can live the rest of my life a happy man. Amen to that. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment